Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Motivation

By Zig Ziglar

Motivation is important - not permanent. I am frequently asked the question, "Why is it that some people get really motivated after listening to you, but after a while slip back into their old, negative ways?" The question really is, "Is motivation permanent?" The answer is no - but then neither is bathing. Now, just in case you think I'm encouraging you not to bathe, let me assure you that I believe in bathing. As a matter of fact, I shower every day and I generally get a real good long one with lots of soap and shampoo. I do some of my best thinking in the shower. The reason I shower every day is very simple: There's lots of dirt out there and if some of it gets on me I want to get it off. I believe it's important to smell good - or at least not bad.

I apply the same principle to my thinking and daily motivation. There is a lot of "stinking thinking" available in life today and if I'm not careful some of it will settle on me. If too much of it hits me, then the stinkin' thinkin' might turn into hardening of the attitudes, one of the most deadly diseases in America today. Life has so many negatives and demotivations that it takes effort to stay motivated. To remain motivated I've got to deliberately plan to take care of my thinking each day with a "check-up from the neck up." Each day I read and listen to something inspiring. I also associate with people who are making a difference with their lives because we are influenced by our associates, either positively or negatively. Message: Read something good, listen to something good, and associate with good people as often as possible. Do these things and your thinking will remain good, which means that I will SEE YOU AT THE TOP!

Zig Ziglar is a motivator and teacher. He is the author of 26 books and loved by millions of people world wide for his practical wisdom and his gift of hope.

No comments: