Most people start life traveling aimlessly through an unchartered world, says goals expert Brian Tracy. "They simply figure things out as they go along. Often, 10 or 20 years of work will go past and they will still be broke, unhappy in their jobs, dissatisfied in their marriages and making little progress. And still, they will go home every night and watch television, wishing and hoping things will get better. But they seldom do," Tracy says.
The key to not letting life just happen to you is to set goals. Working toward goals will also make you happier. "Goals fulfill the greatest need of human beings—a sense of meaning and purpose in life," says Tracy.
To get yourself going, follow Tracy’s goal-setting tips:
- Write your goals down on a set of 3-by-5 cards to carry with you wherever you go.
- Always thinking of the next specific action step you can take toward your goals.
- Review your goal list frequently.
- Visualize your goals achieved continuously.
- Do something every day toward your goals. The most essential factor is persistence.
Realize you have unlimited potential, Tracy says. "You are completely responsible for everything you are today, for everything you think, say and do, and for everything you become from this moment forward."