Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Resolutions By Zig Ziglar

I still workout on a regular basis and I am noticing that the crowds at the gym are thinning out. At the beginning of a new year the gym will be packed but usually by this time the “resolutioners” have left the gym never to darken its door again — until next January!

j0405142My good friend and mentor Fred Smith used to say that New Year’s resolutions are nothing but New Year’s confessions. “I confess I’ve got to lose some weight.” “I confess I must quit smoking.” “I confess I’ve got to go back to school and get my degree.” “I confess I need to get on an exercise program and spend more time with my family.” The list is endless.

Most New Year’s resolutions last about three weeks. We maintain them as long as they’re convenient, not time-consuming or painful, and we remember them. Having said that, let me emphasize that New Year’s resolutions are extremely important. If we will repeat those resolutions often enough, they will lead us to make a decision. Once we’ve made the decision to lose that weight, quit smoking, start exercising, spend more time with the family, get that degree, etc., then we quickly realize we must develop a plan of action. Once we’ve developed a plan of action, we must be sure it is a sound and logical one. Only then does a responsible person make the commitment to reach that objective.

The process is clear: We start with a resolution which we repeat until it becomes a decision. Once the decision is made, we develop the plan of action which leads to the commitment. When the commitment is made, the chances of accomplishment go up substantially. Commitment is the key and, as you may have heard, most people are about as committed as a Kamikaze pilot on his 39th mission. With commitment, when you hit the “wall,” as you always will, you immediately start planning the best way to solve the problem. Without the commitment, when you hit the “wall” you will immediately start thinking about how you can “get out of this deal.”

So, if you have already lost your zeal for your New Year’s resolutions, start again today - you don’t have to have the fireworks and party hats to get going again. Think about it, take the steps I’m suggesting, and I’ll SEE YOU AT THE TOP!

Zig Ziglar is a motivator and teacher. He is the author of 27 books and loved by millions of people world wide for his practical wisdom and his gift of hope.

Has the economy derailed your Sales & Income? Have you had Rejection after Rejection? Is it possible to Close More Sales in this Economy? Yes, you can close more sales today with Zig Ziglar’s Secrets of Closing the Sale. Book. Check it out! Plus FREE Bonus MP3 seminar with Bryan Flanagan, Selling with Certainty in An Uncertain Economy. Buy Zig’s Book Today!

“If people like you they’ll listen to you, but if they trust you they’ll do business with you.”

Zig Ziglar

No comments: